Choosing a safe chew for your dog is essential to maintain your dog’s health and happiness. However, we know that it is easier said than done as so many chew toys are available in the market, which may leave you scratching your head and wondering questions like “How to choose safe chews for dogs?”
If you are facing the same situation, do not worry. In this article, we will take you through a complete guide to picking up the best chew toy for your pup from the market.
What Is Your Dog’s Chewing Style?
What's in this article...
Before we jump into the process of selecting a safe chew for your dog, it is important to know beforehand what your dog’s chewing style is. It is one of the main factors that will assist you in choosing the best chewing toy for your pup.
Some dogs are light chewers and prefer chewing toys made with plush or fabric. Usually, they are very easy on toys, and there are few chances of them destroying a chew toy.
On the other hand, some dogs are pure destroyers and tend to go very hard on their chewing toys and are likely to tear them apart.
So, to know your dog’s chewing style, observe him closely whenever he’s chewing something and choose the chew toy accordingly.
How To Choose Safe Chews For Dogs?
Choosing safe chews for dogs may seem like a daunting task, but in actuality, it is not. You simply have to look for the following things in order to choose perfect chews for your canine.
- Size – You must choose the chew toy that is suitable for your dog’s size. Because if you pick a large-sized chew toy for your small dog, they will struggle to chew and hold it in their mouth. Whereas, if you pick a tiny chew toy for your large pup, there’s a high probability of numerous complexities, for instance, choking hazards.
- Hardness – This one is easy to determine. Simply take the toy in your hands and press it using your thumbs. If it is too hard, avoid that toy because chances are that it may affect your dog’s teeth negatively. On the other hand, the toy should also not be too soft that your dog can destroy it easily.
- Washability – The toy you choose must be easily washable using a machine or the dishwasher.
- The Coating On The Chew Toy – The chew toy should not have any flavoring or coating that may cause stomach problems in your dogs.
- Material Of The Toy – It is always recommended to choose a chew toy that is made from qualitative material to ensure your dog’s safety. Because the toys that are made from plastic may contain a lot of chemicals that can be threatening to your dog’s health. Try opting for the chew made from natural rubber or other materials like cotton, hemp, or wool.
If you are still confused about which type of chew toy you should choose for your dog, take advice from your vet. They will help you determine which chew will suit your dog’s specific needs.
How Chews Can Benefit Your Dog?
Now, you know how to choose safe chews for dogs? Let’s discuss what are some best benefits that it brings along.
1. Enhanced Dental Health
Chew toys are one of the fun ways for dogs to keep up with their oral health. Usually, most chew toys are designed to help dogs clean their teeth and gums while preventing the build-up of plaque and tartar.
2. Helps With Stress And Anxiety
Chewing is considered to be a very natural behavior of the dog, and it is also one of the ways for them to relieve stress and anxiety. The main reason behind it is that when your dog starts chewing, a chemical named endorphin is released in their brain, which helps them feel more calm and relaxed.
3. Eliminates Boredom
When dogs are bored, they look for activities that they can do to escape their boredom. And a chew toy can serve them in the best way possible for that.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Dog Chews?
Even though there are numerous benefits that dog chews bring along, it is also essential to know that there are also some risks that you must take into account before giving chews to your dog.
According to the experts, a few risks can occur when you introduce dog chews to your dog, for instance, damage to the tooth and gums, choking hazards, and ingesting of the splintered pieces, which may cause blockage in the stomach.
Small breed dogs and dogs who chew very hard are known to be at higher risk of experiencing discomfort due to the chew toys. Make sure to take immediate action if you notice any of the signs when your dog is playing with chews:
- Your dog chewing differently and avoiding hard foods
- Blood on their chew toy
- Stomach-related problems like constipation, diarrhea, and Vomiting
- Laziness, loss of appetite just after chewing.
If your dog experiences any of the signs mentioned above, talk to your vet as soon as possible, and they will provide you with an optimal solution.
Also, it is highly advised to always monitor your dog when chewing and check their teeth and gums every now and then to see if there’s any damage caused by chewing.
So, that was all you needed to know about how to choose safe chews for dogs. They are a fantastic way to entertain your furry friend and help them avail a lot of health benefits like enhanced dental health, improved mental health, etc.
However, it can only be possible if you choose the right toy for your dog. So, ensure to use the tips provided in this article. Otherwise, there is a high chance that the chew toy may end up hurting your dog instead of helping him.
Also, always monitor your dog whenever he is playing with the chew toy. If you notice a toy has been damaged, remove it ASAP to prevent further problems. Lastly, if you still have any questions or doubts regarding the chews, it is highly recommended that you talk to your vet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Is The Healthiest Chew Toy For a Dog?
There are numerous types of chew toys available in the market. It is advised to follow the advice provided in the article in order to choose the best chew toy for your furry friend.
2. Can You Give a Dog a Chew Everyday?
According to the sources, you should practice giving your dog a chew every day. It is a healthy habit to keep them engaged, happy and enhance their teeth health.
3. Are Dog Chews Safe For Dogs?
Yes. But it also depends on the type of chew toy you bought for your dog. Use the tips mentioned above to pick a safe and long-lasting chew for your pup.
Ansh Sharma is a content writer who possesses the skill of describing different topics in a simple and creative manner. He has a vast interest in crypto and finances, but is also well-versed with many other niches like pets, health, technology, gaming, etc. Apart from writing, he loves to read non-fiction books to continually learn and grow.