Last Updated on
Here are the 5 best home security systems apps you can buy in 2020.
Using smart camera’s along with mobile apps for home security can combine remote control of the alarm system with other smart home functions. Here are some great benefits to have one.
Best Home Security Apps / Best Home Security Systems
If you have a smart home security system, an app can be used to monitor, access and control your system remotely through the use of a mobile or other web-enabled device.
If you want to see who is at your front door, tap your app and if you want to see what your kids or pets are doing, tap your app and select any given security camera for a live update. Did you forget to lock the doors, turn off the lights, or shut your garage door? Tap your app to find out, then you can remotely handle any necessary tasks using that app. Those are just a few of the things you can do using a home security app.
The primary benefits of a home security mobile app are the abilities to arm, disarm and monitor your security system from anywhere. If you leave home and aren’t sure whether you’ve activated the system, just check the app and toggle the setting if needed. Some apps even have geo-services to alert you when you’ve left the home unsecured; if you travel more than a mile from home, for example, you’ll get an alert. You can set up a variety of customized mobile alerts and log in anytime to view recorded or real-time video, activity logs for door locks and more.
The best home security companies create apps that automate entire homes as well as alarm systems. Home automation commonly includes the remote control and monitoring of security systems, locks, lights, blinds and thermostats. Environmental protection is often automated too; smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and water sensors can be linked to these mobile apps. Another possibility is remotely controlling specific electrical outlets to activate/deactivate appliances such as coffee makers and radios. Easy to use, these multipurpose apps are well worth exploring.
Common home security app features
- Arming and disarming – We’ve all forgotten something before leaving home in the morning, but the biggest — and most costly — thing we can forget to do is not arm our wireless home security system. Now, we have the ability to address a potentially serious situation with just a cellphone.
- Remote viewing – Most smart home security cameras have remote viewing and can send push notifications directly to your phone when motion is detected in or around your home.
- Tilt, pan and zoom – While you’re remotely viewing your surveillance video, some home security systems allow you to tilt and pan the camera to get a complete view of the area. Some even allow you to zoom into specific areas to see the smallest details.
- Two-way audio – With two-way audio, you can talk to people via your home security devices like you would with Skype or FaceTime. You can have a conversation with anyone near the system or even say “hi” to your pets when they’re home alone.
- Smart scheduling – Most system apps allow you to program a personalized home security schedule. You can set an alarm for the same time every day of the week and program your cameras to point a specific direction at a certain time of day.
Best Home Security Systems:
1. Abode Essentials Starter Kit
The Adobe Essentials home security system is up there with the top when it comes to features and securing your home and also boasts compatibility with both Alexa and Google home.
Adobe’s Essentials Starter Kit has everything you need to get started with DIY Home Security.
Simply plug the gateway into your router to connect it to the internet, create an account on the abode mobile or web app, and follow the on-screen guided instructions to pair your devices.
Most people are up & running with their system in under 30 minutes – that’s how easy we have made abode to install.
The awesome thing about Adobe Essentials is no contracts and no sales pitches. You can determine what devices you add to your home and what level of monitoring you want (self or professional).
Even our monitoring plans are contract-free and can be billed monthly or annually, whichever you choose.
After that, just add devices as you need until your home is as protected as you’d like it.
Abode is proud to offer devices that range from door sensors to water leak sensors so you can build out your system to protect your home from any threat.
2. ADT Control
The ADT Control app works similar to the ADT Command platform in that it gives you remote control of ADT smart home security automated and monitored devices. The app is free to download and gives you the status of connected devices and can send push notifications if and when any security incidents occur.
Other features of ADT Control:
- Customizable security: Add more sensors or cameras to your system anytime in our customer portal.
- Help Protect Your Home & Family: When you arm your LifeShield system, you’ll be notified when motion is detected, a door or window is opened, or if your fire alarm has gone off. *24/7 professional monitoring for emergency services is optional.
- Easy to Set Up Sensors & Smart Camera: Get 2 pet-friendly Motion Sensors, 4 Door/Window Sensors, and a Fire Safety Sensor that works with your existing fire/CO alarms. The Indoor Smart Camera has motion detection, live video, & video recording.
- 4 Layers of Protection: Our patented Base uses high-speed internet, cellular signal, cellular text, or landline phone to ensure that it has a signal. And, with 24-hour battery backup, you don’t have to worry if the power is out.
- FREE Mobile App: The mobile app allows you to set or check your home security system and view live video of your home from virtually anywhere. You can also use it to set unique user codes so that you know who’s coming and going from your home.
The ADT Control app is designed to manage your home security devices, not your ADT account. To manage your ADT account, including checking billing statements and making payments, use the MyADT app.
How to use the ADT Control home security app:
- Download the ADT Control app for your Android device
- Log in with your ADT account information
- From the home screen, check the status of your ADT system
- Click the icons at the bottom of the home screen to adjust settings for those connected devices
- Use the app to arm or disarm the home security system, adjust thermostat settings, turn lights on or off, remotely lock or unlock doors and more.
3. Nest Home Security
Google Nest is perhaps best known for its smart thermostats, but additional products include indoor and outdoor cameras, video doorbells, smart locks, motion sensors and smart fire detectors. Available with Android and iOS devices, the Nest app features continuous cloud recording on active smart cameras, as well as push notifications and customizable alerts.
The Nest app also allows you to create multiple accounts for your home devices, so you can control which connected devices family members can access from the app.
How to use the Nest home security app:
- Position your Nest camera’s
- Download the Nest app for your device
- Create or log in to your Nest account
- Select the device you would like to access from the home screen
- Check Nest device status, adjust settings, view camera stream, etc.
- Create additional family accounts and set accessible devices from the settings menu at the top right of the screen
SimpliSafe offers wireless home security systems with professional or self-monitoring. Available SimpliSafe home security devices include HD indoor and outdoor cameras, door and window motion sensors, plus fire and flood detection.
You can access and adjust SimpliSafe smart home security devices via the SimpliSafe app. The app also allows for remote video surveillance viewing and can send you alerts and notifications when an event is detected.
How to use the Nest home security app:
- Download the SimpliSafe app for your Android device
- Log in with your SimpliSafe account credentials
- View recent events and recordings from the home screen, click any of the events for more information or to review the recording
- Select different devices and areas around the home from the menu located at the top left of the screen
- View device status, arm or disarm devices, view live video feeds or recordings and more from the device screen
5. Ring Video Doorbell
Ring video doorbell has quickly grown in popularity thanks to its video doorbells and outdoor surveillance cameras. While Ring does not include professional monitoring, it does give you the freedom to self-monitor your entryways and home exterior to see who’s coming and going.
Ring video doorbells and exterior cameras allow for remote viewing from your computer or mobile device via the Ring mobile app. You can also receive push notifications and alerts when an event occurs, such as someone ringing the doorbell or you receive a delivery. A separate app, the Ring Neighborhood Watch app, gives you real-time crime and safety alerts in your area.
How to use the Ring video doorbell app:
- Download the Ring app for your Android device
- Make sure your mobile device and Ring devices are connected to your home Wi-Fi
- Create or log in to your Ring account
- Give the app a few seconds to detect your Ring devices
- Check device status, event history and active cameras from the home screen
- Select a camera from the home screen to view live feeds or recordings