Last Updated on
Our TOP Picks for Graphing Calculator Apps
Like your watch and many other had-to-have gadgets of the past, pocket calculators are quickly becoming obsolete since calculator apps are pretty much standard in any smart phone or tablet you can buy today. But usually these are just basic calculators.
For some of use, we need something with a little more power. Specifically, this article is going to give you the best graphing calculator app options we could find for both iOS and Android. We have tried a few and have listed what we here at Team TouchDroid believe are the very best to place on your phone or tablet.
MathLab Graphing Calculator
If you were to ask me my personal preference, this is the calculator app I have decided to keep on my phone after going through all of these to review them for Team TouchDroid. This is THE best graphing calculator app for Android, period! This includes a phone or a tablet.
It has a really well designed user interface that is intuitive to use and looks nice as well. The feature set is not only the best in class for graphing, it simply is the best scientific calculator as well.
This thing is a calculating power house. Just take a look at the graphing option, there are a ton of other options too, just check out the listing on Google Play to read everything it can do.
- Multiple functions graphing
- Implicit functions up to 2nd degree (ellipse 2x^2+3y^2=1, etc.)
- Polar graphs (r=cos2θ)
- Parametric functions, enter each on new line (x=cos t, y=sin t)
- Function roots and critical points.
- Graph intersections
- Tracing function values and slopes
- Slide to scroll
- Pinch to zoom
- Fullscreen graphs (PRO)
- Function tables
- 3D graphs (this is only in the PRO version)
Graphing Calculator by Mathlab also has their own website with help topics which I really like. They have obviously put a ton of work into this app line. And they have done a great job. You can check out their site and the app listing below…
Next up we have one for the iPhone readers that was created by William Jockusch. The reason it is first in line for the iPhone users reading this is because it’s actually a really solid app AND it’s completely free. Yes, you’ve got to love free apps. And the catch? There are ads on this app, just one really, so not so bad.
But if they are driving you crazy you can pay for the app, cost is 99 cents. So still an amazing deal either way.
This app graphs up to four equations at a time so that you can get your work done as fast as possible.
Some of the graphs it can generate are:
- Graph up to four equations at once.
- Graphs are labeled so you can find them easily.
- You can drag the graph or pinch to zoom in or out.
- Calculator can find roots and intersections.
- Graph in polar coordinates.
- Graph parametric equations
- Can graph implicit functions, such as x^2+y^2-4=0. Most calculator apps can’t do this!
As you can see, for the iOS phone, I doubt you’ll get a better app at a better price than this. You can go directly to the Apple App Store and grab yours now here…
Our next pick is for the Android users. And again, we have another free app. The Demos Graphing Calculator has over 5,000,000+ downloads and a 4.7 rating on the Google Play store. So you know it’s a solidly built app.
Here’s a list of the app’s features:
- Beautiful and intuitive interface with gesture based control and navigation
- See instant results of your calculations as you enter them
- Swipe up on the keypad to reveal scientific keypad
- Swipe down on the display to see calculation history
- Support for Samsung Multi Window
- Show memory keys option
- Swipe up on the scientific keypad to customize it
- Create user-defined constants
- Choose between simple and full keypad layout
- Choose from a range of stylish themes
This one is similar to the above in that it is free but does show ads. You can pay 99 cents to get the ads removed, which we did because they are a bit annoying!